The Federation of Canadian Municipalities has announced today that their Sustainable Communities Climate Change Mitigation Award has been given to PACE Atlantic CIC along with the City of Charlottetown, Town of Stratford, and Town of Wolfville for their collaboration on the home energy financing initiatives Switch Charlottetown, Switch Stratford, and Switch Wolfville. We will be presenting a showcase of our award-winning programs at the 2023 Sustainable Communities Conference taking place in Ottawa, Ontario, February 8.
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) is pleased to announce the winners of the 2022 Sustainable Community Awards. Since 2001, the Sustainable Communities Awards have recognized and celebrated the most innovative environmental projects in cities and communities of all sizes across Canada. The awards honour the sustainability projects that demonstrate excellence in environmental responsibility and generate social and economic benefits for their communities.
The winning projects leverage current and advanced technologies, as well as best practices, in the area of sustainability and can be replicated and scaled up across Canada to achieve national quality-of-life, sustainability and climate goals in five categories: Natural Asset Management, Climate Change Mitigation, Waste, Affordable Housing Retrofit, and Community Buildings Retrofit.
The 2022 FCM Sustainable Communities Awards winners are:
Climate Change Mitigation:
- Charlottetown/Stratford/Wolfville + Switch + Stratford, PE, Charlottetown, PE, Wolfville, NS, Halifax, NS
- Régie intermunicipale de transport Gaspésie – Îles-de-la-Madeleine (RÉGPÎM) + Mobilité partagée – RÉGÎM TCiTé – Ville de Gaspé + Carleton-sur-Mer, QC
Natural Asset Management:
- Township of the Archipelago, Ontario + Tale of a Thousand Turtles + Parry Sound
- Parkland County, Alberta + Municipal Servicing Benefits of Natural Infrastructure in Agricultural Lands + Parkland County
- City of Guelph, Ontario + Food Material Flow Study in Guelph-Wellington + Guelph
- Régie des matières résiduelles du Lac-Saint-Jean + Réemploi+; Devenir riche autrement par l’économie circulaire et le développement durable + Alma, QC
Affordable Housing Retrofit:
- City Housing Hamilton + 500 MacNab – the Ken Soble Passive House Retrofit + Hamilton, ON
Community Buildings Retrofit:
- Climate Challenge Network + Actionable Roadmap to Net Zero Ice Rinks: from technical solutions to practical implementation + Toronto, ON
The recipients will present their project at the 2023 Sustainable Communities Conference taking place in Ottawa, Ontario, February 7–10. The awards ceremony will be hosted on February 8.